November 6, 2012

Apologetics

I must say, the world of apologetics is really unknown to the Mormon world. I know I had no idea that it even existed.  I will say that this fact is in and of itself is a bit of evidence that there is so much that is intentionally concealed from church members.  The Mormon definition of apologetics would be “a branch of theology devoted to the defense of the divine origin and authority of Mormonism. I’m the first to admit that you can’t prove that the church is true. You also can’t prove that it is false, even if the evidence is stacked against the church in my opinion.

There are three main apologetics sites that I am familiar with.  The Maxwell Institute which is the official LDS site, Fair LDS, and Stay LDS.  All three are linked on the sidebar for your reference. 

The way I see it, if you want to be convinced that the church is still true, apologetics will do that.  I believe this is due to confirmation bias as opposed to real viable defenses put forth by apologists. To be fair, the same biases can be shown by “anti-Mormons” when they try to prove their evidences against the church.  I believe most apologetic responses are very weak.  I have yet to see an apologetic response that really satisfies my concerns. The link here at the bottom is a great representation of how ridiculous these apologetic defenses can be.  In fact, this proves that their so called evidences are often misleading and flat out lies. 
  
http://youtu.be/EReUoXIesMI

As a side note, that person that did that video has some other great videos I’d highly recommend so check out his YouTube channel after you watch this video.  He has done some great stuff for the doubting/disaffected/ExMo community.

No comments:

Post a Comment